Thursday, August 21, 2008

Baby Lucas is Here :-)

It's been a while since my last entry, but I have good a reason. Last August 15, I gave birth to our baby boy :) I am one of the lucky ones as I had a relatively easy (normal) delivery. Here goes my birthing kuwento.

August 14
JJ picked me up from the office and we decided to drop by Festival Mall before heading home so we can take a stroll. A lot of people are saying that my tummy is still high and that I have to walk for the baby to start to descend. We shopped for a while and bought several items from Shopwise before going home. While paying, I started to feel pain in my lower abdomen area. Thinking that it is not "labor" (starting from the back then whole tummy area) pains, I just ignored the pains.
All through the night, I felt these lower abdominal pains. I'd wake up every hour or so still feeling the same pain. Again, I just ignored it as I was able to go back to sleep naman after shifting positions.
August 15
7AM - While having breakfast, JJ and I decided to take the morning off from work so we can have a check up. I just wanted to see a doctor to make sure that what I felt was normal. By this time, I was feeling the pain in intervals, but not consistently and not in increasing intensity.
9AM - We arrived in Asian Hospital and started looking for an OB Gyne. My OB's mom passed away last weekend and her reliever has no schedule in Asian on Fridays. We were given an available OB and we were 6th in her list so we decided to wait in the lobby area. We saw my OB's secretary and informed her of what's happening. She said that it's ok to see another OB as the reliever will not be in until the next day. She said that she'd inform our OB rin of what's going on with me.
10:15 AM - Ate Nelly, my OB's secretary, informed us that my OB said that we should proceed to Genesis for the check up instead of seeing another OB. Though hesitant, we proceeded to Genesis to have myself checked.
10:20 AM - We informed the staff in the reception area of what I was feeling and our OB's instruction to have myself checked. They ushered us in the labor room and in minutes, I was strapped with a fetal heartbeat and contraction monitors. I had to be monitored for 30 minutes. When the nurse left us, JJ and I exchanged looks and laughingly joked "kaya siguro ako naka-strap dito para masingil nila tayo ng mahal." I was honestly feeling how ridiculous it is for me to be strapped there with just lower abdominal pains. Pains not so intense that I can even laugh and exchange jokes with my husband.
11:10 AM - An OB Gyne on duty went in to see me and told me that she'd be performing an IE to check my condition. (First time IE for me, so it was scary). After less than 30 seconds, the OB said "Ang ganda. 5 - 6 cm na. Admit na ito." WHATTTT? I was already in labor? Akala ko ba labor pains will start from the back? I thought my tummy's too high pa? Oh my.... were we in shock....
11:30 AM - At this point, JJ and I realized that we're so not ready for this yet. We don't even have our camera with us! I have stuff I plan to put in my hospital bag pa sana! JJ was asked to handle the stuff for my admission and I was asked to change in a hospital gown already. We were also sending out SMS to our parents and offices that I am already in labor. JJ also called home for the camera and other stuff to be brought in the hospital.
2 PM - The OB who will be delivering my baby arrived to see me. Dr. Perez was very kind and she seems competent naman. She performed an IE and she said that I am 6cm still. They also asked me if I want to have an epidural na as I am far off the 4cm mark na naman. They said that they could just insert th catheter and then administer the drugs later on as I seem to handle the pain well pa naman. We agreed and nilagyan na rin ako ng medicine since my labor might progress agad.
3PM - I was only 7 cm and based on the contractions monitor, I am not having strong enough contractions to progress. They gave me oxytocin to help. The doctor also pricked my bag of water.
5PM - My dad arrived and I was suprised that he was allowed in the labor room. I was starting to feel the pain of contractions so i asked JJ to call the anesthesiologist for an additional dose. I was also trying not to show my dad na mejo painful na for me yung contractions kahit may epid pa ako. After a while, my dad said that he'll go home first (our house is 15 minutes away from the hospital) and that we keep him updated. He also said "kayang-kaya mo yan anak" before leaving.
5:30 PM - OB did another IE and she said that I was fully dilated already and that baby's head descended na daw. It was time for me to be transfered in the birthing room.
Birthing room - While I was being prepared, the anesthesiologist and another doctor were teaching me how to push. I was already feeling numb from the waist down and I cannot feel the contractions so they were telling me when to push. When they said that I just have to push as if I am constipated, BINGO! Chicken! :-) I've been constipated because of the iron supplement and at least all that hardship in the bathroom will be put to good use :-) After several rounds of practice pushing, they told me that the next sets will be for my baby to come out na. The first round was not successful as I was suprised when the other doctor laid on top of my tummy to help me. I was suprised so I was not able to push properly.
6:18 PM - After the second round of pushing, baby Lucas was "out crying beautifully" as Dr. Perez puts it. I was just looking at my baby boy in complete amazement. I was not expecting it to happen that day and I just felt so blessed that I had a so much easier birthing experience than I expected.

1 comment:

aec said...

hi, nawie here. congrats on your delivery--totally no complications and you pushed so well. i had to push like maybe some 3 or 4 rounds of pushing/contractions. and it was my second baby already. lol. -mandy