Sunday, April 6, 2008

What happened to you BB????

I was in the restroom in our office when I noticed something different in my tummy. I pulled up my top a little, cooed hi’s and hello’s to my baby, checked for stretchmarks (none yet J), checked how I looked sideways, ikot ulit, hi! linea negra (getting more prominent), oh! hi belly button. Wait, that’s MY belly button????? What happened????

Ok, I might be overreacting but I was really shocked at how my belly button looked. Mine was what one calls an “innie” belly button. I haven’t seen my belly button for quite some time now as I can’t bend too much nowadays. When I got home, I asked hubby if he noticed how my belly button changed. And he told me “ Oo, kaya nga I asked you the other day kung talaga bang nag-iiba yung belly button.” Ahhh, I remember. Oo nga pala. Anyways, I searched online and here’s the info that I got from: http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/belly_button/belly_button_pregnancy.htm (o di ba plastic surgery site pa ito. But no, I have no plans of having plastic surgery after birth J )

" The belly button is the scar of the connection of the umbilical cord. The deepest part of the belly button is tethered to the abdominal wall fascia. The shape of the belly button is from the overlying fat and skin with the deep attachment holding the typical "innie" shape. With the distension of the belly of pregnancy, the abdominal wall pushes out. This can change the shape of the belly button, for some more shallow and for others, "pop out." Some women have told Dr. Bermant that they feel like a turkey, and their belly buttons like the pop up temperature button. One pregnant woman even asked if that meant her baby was ready for delivery! Sorry, belly button changes during pregnancy is not related to the timing of the delivery.

In a distended stomach, the belly button expands. The belly button diameter is bigger. Belly button thicker walls become thinner. The umbilicus central depressed area spreads out. It is distorted like a feature of a balloon during inflation.

A stretched belly can also exacerbate an umbilical hernia. Belly button pain and changes with coughing can be signs of an umbilical hernia. Such issues should be checked with your doctor.

The change in tissue tension during pregnancy can make an "innie" belly button into an "outie."

No comments: