Saturday, February 25, 2012

7 Basic Psychological Needs

I had the privilege of attending one of her parenting seminars organized by our company. Our CEO was able to attend one of hers and decided to invite Dr. Honey Carandang in our office to conduct the same. She had a one-page handout that I thought I'd share here.
7 Basic Psychological Needs
1. Personal Significance
    "I Matter", "I Make a Difference", "I am not a non-entity"
2. Love, Affection, Unconditional Acceptance
    Need for affection and acceptance as THEY ARE; basic trust, sense of security
3. Clear and Consistent Limits
    Provide reasonable rules, clear do's and don'ts, testing the limits, need to set boundaries, say NO, be firm, respect is core value in discipline
4. Sense of Competence
   "I Can vs. I Can't", "I am good at something", need to develop area of competence, sense of power
5.Affiliation
   Need to be connected, to belong, support group, real friends
6. Wide Scope of Self Expression
    Need to have various avenues to express self, emotios, etc., Play, Art, Music, Storytelling, Writing, Sports, Dance, Drama
7. Transcedence
    Need to look beyond what is there, to have faith, hope that things can be better

From the writings and lectures of:
Ma. Lourdes Arellano-Carandang, Ph. D.
Clinical Psychologist

1 comment:

Sine Deo said...

I don't know if this is relevant for you but this (Maslow's hierarchy of needs) is fairly decent. It covers the basics although some say its outmoded.

Can I make a suggestion on your blog, the purple background with the thin black text makes it incredibly difficult to read. Thanks.